One hundred and thirty-six years in prison are Bradley Manning’s perspective after judge Army Col. Denise Lind had convicted him guilty yesterday for 20 charges including espionage. Juan Cole has listed top ten ways, Manning has changed the world with his leaks to WikiLeaks of hundreds of thousands of mainly classified documents.
One might easily continue:
11. His leaks let constitutional law professor Obama show his true colors when prejudging him: “He broke the law” (in April 2011).
12. Manning has proved that the Unites States would not hesitate to keep whistle-blowers in cages (in 2010 in Kuwait).
13. Likewise, that the U.S. humiliates and maybe tortures whistle-blowers, according to Amnesty International (Quantico Brig in 2010 and 2011).
14. It has become clear that Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are well-advised to prevent, under all circumstances, entering the U.S.
15. Manning has provided historians with material (the Iraq and Afghanistan warlogs, the diplomatic cables) which needs to be studied probably for decades.
16. He has taught us the lesson that locking him away will not silence those who criticize previous and current U.S. administrations.
31 July 2013 @ 5:05 pm.
Last modified July 31, 2013.